Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Advice on Warren-Wilson College. I'd love to hear about it form someone who is attending or has attended.?

I'm very interested in this unique college, it is a bit far away from home, and so I'd like to be sure about it before I pursue my interest. I am very interested in pursuing a career in medicine, and am also worried that for that field this school may not be the most beneficial for my future. Advice please? Also, I've already visited the website and so far it looks very promising. I was also concerned about the 15 hour work week requirement, I think it's a great idea, but is it hard to maintain?Advice on Warren-Wilson College. I'd love to hear about it form someone who is attending or has attended.?
I haven't attended the school, but I went and visited just a couple weeks ago, and it is BEAUTIFUL. As far as being far away from home.. I think you would find that you are far from alone (only 18 percent are from north carolina) so its not like you would be left all alone on campus during small breaks or anything. About the work program.. I also had concerns with the hours and whether or not it would interfere with academics, but I talked to my guidance counselor at the school and it seems that most students don't have much trouble with it, but the work crews are fairly lenient if you have a lot to do.. (you can trade hours with other workers or double up so you can have more time off later).


Warren Wilson's strength is mainly in English, Environmental Studies, and Outdoor Leadership, but I think all of their science departments are very nice. But you should probably look further into their grading (they rely mostly on written evaluations) and make sure that the graduate schools of your choice would accept that. I'm pretty sure that they will put a letter grade on your transcript, but I'm not 100% sure.


Other bits of information about the school...


-- It kind of has a druggy reputation, if you weren't aware of that. There are people who don't of course participate, but the stereotypical student there smokes pot.


-- Its really open-minded and welcoming of different kinds of people.


I would really recommend that you take a visit there if you are a junior.. It gave me a MUCH better feel for the school and when I was there, it felt very warm and welcoming.. the people are super friendly.


Good luck!! -- I'm trying to decide whether to attend myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment